Here we have the first of many contests I'd like to have/ host on this group. I thought I'd start with something fun that this group could use. A poster for our front page.
On our front page, we have this widget with nothing on it. Normally, I would just whip it up myself, but I thought I could take this opportunity to create a community project of sorts. What I'm looking for is an actual poster that summarizes everything you need to know about our group, what it stands for and why we are needed. My primary job as the founder is to monitor our content, and to make sure that gallery pieces make effective use of what the science tells us about a given organism. It seems like a leadership role, and it is to a certain extent. But the main reason I'm doing this is because this poster should represent the group and its communities vision of the group, not just mine.
Your challenge is to create a poster that will be placed on the homepage of the DA group.
The image linked here is really the closest I can find that illustrates what I'm looking for, but you don't have to follow the format as it is displayed in this image. If anything, I encourage the opposite. But the principle is still the same, a stylistic background, thumbnail images, and blocks of text (more on that later)
- To enter, you need only to post a comment in the comment section bellow expressing you being entered into the contest. At which point, your User Name will be added to The List. This document will be visible, but not editable, so others can see who's in the contest. You can either enter as a contestant or judge (Only the first 3 will be accepted). Contestants, obviously will enter a piece, and the judge will decide on pieces that will be subject to the vote in the final days of the contest, but cannot submit their own work.
- Poster Must be submitted to the Poster Contest Entries Folder in the group gallery.
- Contestants can either work alone, or in a group of no more than three people. This gives the opportunity to divide tasks and allowing for varying styles to make it into your submission. Either way, should you decide to use other peoples work in your poster, you must either have obtained permission from the original owner, and be willing to provide said information, or you must properly credit the original artist in the description of your submission. In short, don't steal!
- The poster must have at least 2 elements (illustrations) that are original and unique to this piece. For example, let's say your poster is T. Rex themed, like on our avatar. You can make use of pictures of skeletons, skin impressions, even examples made by other artists (with documented permission). But, you will still ether need to illustrate your own T. Rex, or have someone else do it for you (with credit to the original author). You'll need to do this twice for your poster.
- The Poster must have a background. It cannot be transparent, nor can it be just a solid color, or gradient. Apart from that, there aren't too many restrictions for the format. It can be any size, file type, or resolution (as long as we can see it clearly).
- The poster will include Text Blocks. This Link will take you to another document that contains the text that will need to be incorporated in your poster submission. These blocks can be arranged in any way you wish, and can be in any font or format you like. You can even add your own text, so long as you are not making any promises or services the group can't provide, or are contradictory to our goals. Also, avoid using crude language if you please (release the trolls).
The contest begins on the day in which this journal entry goes live on DA (7/29/2016), and will end on the 29th of August, 2016. During which, you can enter or leave at any time. After exactly 11:59 PM on the 29th, submissions will cease, and the judges will overlook the pieces they like the most. Each judge will decide on two posters, with a total of eight finalists. At which point, we will post a blog entry, containing all 8 images, and the week long voting session will begin. How votes will be cast will be confirmed at the time of voting. The top 3 images will receive special prizes.
PrizesFirst Place Winner:
To the First Place Winner, I bequeath your poster to be displayed on the home page, two free illustrations by yours truly, a featured blog entry promoting your work, and you (and any partners you worked with, if you worked in a group) to be promoted as Co-founder(s) of the group.
Second Place Winner:
To the Second Place Winner, I bequeath one free illustration by Yours Truly, and a featured blog entry promoting your work.
Third Place Winner:
To The Third Place Winner, I bequeath The Choice of ether a free illustration by yours truly, or a featured blog entry promoting your work.
Stay clean, Stay smart, And Go Crazy, Kids!